- What Is America’s Strategy in Ukraine?by The Editorial Board on May 20, 2022 at 1:48 pm
U.S. support for the war is not guaranteed.
- The Ethics of Abortionby ‘The Ezra Klein Show’ on May 20, 2022 at 1:43 pm
The law professor Kate Greasley examines moral quandaries around life, personhood and bodily autonomy that underpin the abortion debate.
- Here’s Why Tallies of U.S. Covid Deaths Aren’t All the Sameby Adeel Hassan and Sarah Cahalan on May 20, 2022 at 1:14 pm
Even the White House has acknowledged that there is no consensus method for compiling coronavirus data.
- White House Press Secretary Gets a New ‘Flak Jacket’: A Women’s Blazerby Michael M. Grynbaum on May 20, 2022 at 12:54 pm
A decades-long West Wing tradition lives on, with a bright yellow twist.
- Karine Jean-Pierre’s Unlikely Rise to the White House Lecternby Michael M. Grynbaum on May 20, 2022 at 12:52 pm
The first Black and first openly gay press secretary was raised in an immigrant family with “so many secrets.” Now she occupies one of the most scrutinized jobs in American politics.
- What’s the Best Way to Find a Gifted 4-Year-Old?by Ginia Bellafante on May 20, 2022 at 12:42 pm
New York City has abandoned its test to screen for gifted and talented children. Now the responsibility of choosing students falls squarely on teacher recommendations.
- When a Pro-Life Doctor Performs an Abortionby Matthew Loftus on May 20, 2022 at 11:38 am
If God does not want us to perform abortions, why did he put me in a situation where I would have to do one?
- Princeton President Recommends Firing Joshua Katz After Uproarby Anemona Hartocollis on May 20, 2022 at 10:51 am
Joshua Katz says he was targeted because of his criticism of a campus protest group. A university report says the concerns are related to his inappropriate conduct with a female student.
- A New Kind of Drugby German Lopez on May 20, 2022 at 10:16 am
How the country’s drug problem is changing, and why it’s growing.
- A Better Understanding of Long Covidby Michael Barbaro, Rachel Quester, Chelsea Daniel, Diana Nguyen, Stella Tan, Paige Cowett, Mike Benoist, Dan Powell and Chris Wood on May 20, 2022 at 10:00 am
Who does the condition affect, and how widespread is it?
- In Hungary, Cheap Russian Oil Fuels Right-Wing Culture Warsby Andrew Higgins and Benjamin Novak on May 20, 2022 at 9:55 am
Prime Minister Viktor Orban has resisted a proposed E.U. embargo of Russian oil, saying it would devastate his country’s economy, but it would also cut off a source of funds for his political allies.
- Bodies Pulled From Parched Lake Mead Stir Wise-Guy Ghosts of Las Vegasby Simon Romero on May 20, 2022 at 9:00 am
As climate change fuels grim discoveries across the West, Las Vegas is awash in bets on the identity of a suspected murder victim dumped in a barrel.
- As China Doubles Down on Lockdowns, Some Chinese Seek an Exitby Vivian Wang and Alexandra Stevenson on May 20, 2022 at 9:00 am
Inquiries to immigration consultants have surged; social media users trade tips on how to get abroad. But the government aims to “strictly restrict nonessential exit activities.”
- ‘Stranger Things’ Is Back, and the Duffer Brothers Made It Bigby Austin Considine on May 20, 2022 at 9:00 am
After a three-year wait, the new season of Netflix’s sci-fi series is more ambitious (and longer) than ever. The creators say it’s all part of the plan.
- Group Chat Linked to Roger Stone Shows Ties Among Jan. 6 Figuresby Alan Feuer on May 20, 2022 at 9:00 am
The roster of participants highlights how Mr. Stone, the pro-Trump political operative, was involved with a strikingly large number of people who sought to overturn the 2020 election.
- Biden’s Curious Talking Point: Lower Deficits Offer Inflation Reliefby Talmon Joseph Smith and Jeanna Smialek on May 20, 2022 at 9:00 am
The administration says federal spending trends are helping rein in price increases, but the economic calculus may be more complicated.
- It’s Trump’s Party, and He’ll Lie if He Wants Toby Jamelle Bouie on May 20, 2022 at 9:00 am
Republicans want to write Democrats out of the body politic.
- Elon Musk, Chaos Monkeyby Kara Swisher on May 20, 2022 at 9:00 am
The billionaire’s increasingly erratic behavior on Twitter distracts from the terrible math behind his bid to buy it.
- Will Australia’s Election Be a Reckoning for Morrison on Climate?by Van Badham on May 20, 2022 at 5:42 am
The election spotlights the risks faced by climate-skeptic politicians.
- Bob Neuwirth, Colorful Figure in Dylan’s Circle, Dies at 82by Neil Genzlinger on May 20, 2022 at 4:02 am
He was a recording artist and songwriter himself, but he also played pivotal roles in the careers of Bob Dylan and Janis Joplin.