Slate Magazine Slate RSS
- In Texas, How Much Pain Does It Take to Get Medical Care?by Mary Harris on August 11, 2022 at 8:37 pm
One woman’s excruciating experience in the post-Roe health system.
- Why Won’t Trump Tell Us What the Search Warrant Says?by David Plotz, Emily Bazelon, and Juliette Kayyem on August 11, 2022 at 8:22 pm
Trump’s defenders don’t care if he breaks the law.
- I’m Embarrassed My Granddaughter Ignores Her Cousin. Can I Spark a Friendship?by Zak Rosen, Aymann Ismail, and Elizabeth Newcamp on August 11, 2022 at 4:00 pm
The name of the game is expectations management.
- The Challenges of Moving to a New City as a Freelance Writerby Karen Han and June Thomas on August 11, 2022 at 11:00 am
“I think moving is one of the most stressful and hard things we go through.”
- Help! My Fiancé’s Family “Surprised” Me With an Overnight Visit. Now They’re Saying I’m a Bad Host.by Jenée Desmond-Harris on August 11, 2022 at 9:58 am
I had zero prep time, and they’re complaining about what I had to offer them for breakfast.
- I Can’t Help My Daughter Calm Her Nerves About Middle Schoolby Cassy Sarnell, Amy Scott, and John Eric Vona on August 11, 2022 at 9:55 am
Teacher advice on middle school, standardized testing, and IEPs.
- How a False Claim About Wikipedia Sparked a Right-Wing Media Frenzyby Samuel Breslow on August 11, 2022 at 9:50 am
Some conservatives are learning to weaponize the encyclopedia as part of a political battle to delegitimize traditional sources.
- Uh, Can the NYT Please Not Treat Catholic Reactionaries as a Fun Sexy Trend Story?by Molly Olmstead on August 11, 2022 at 9:46 am
That buzzy “Dimes Square” opinion piece left out some important context.
- The Crisis of Trust That Dobbs Createdby Mary Harris on August 11, 2022 at 9:00 am
In the absence of Roe, pregnancy complications prompt additional questions—and suspicions—for doctors and patients alike.
- Why Women Take More SSRIs Than Menby Mia Armstrong and Shannon Palus on August 11, 2022 at 9:00 am
Mental health drugs shouldn’t come with stigma. But they shouldn’t be the only solution, either.
- Republicans Are Outraged at Joe Biden for Accurately Describing the Economyby Jordan Weissmann on August 11, 2022 at 12:25 am
There have now been two consecutive news cycles of negative tweets.
- Who Sploots?by Hannah Docter-Loeb on August 10, 2022 at 9:20 pm
And how you can sploot, too.
- The Mets’ Flamethrowing Closer Is Becoming a Folk Heroby Alex Kirshner on August 10, 2022 at 8:37 pm
It’s not just the trumpets. Though yes, those do rule.
- My Husband’s Family Thinks He’s the Reason We’re Thriving. If Only They Knew.by Athena Valentine on August 10, 2022 at 7:58 pm
What else can I do to protect myself and my kids?
- Virginia Republicans Are Testing a Novel Way to Ban Books. It Might Just Work.by Dan Kois on August 10, 2022 at 5:56 pm
An expert sees no reason book protections couldn’t be rolled back “the way Roe v. Wade was rolled back.”
- The Americans Already Suffering Most From the Fall of Roeby Guangqing Chi and Jessica Miller on August 10, 2022 at 5:49 pm
The worst of this societal inequality is yet to be seen.
- Paris Is Burning. So Why Won’t Europeans Install A/C?by Henry Grabar on August 10, 2022 at 4:10 pm
Even record-setting temperatures can’t melt the continent’s reluctance to install cooling technology.
- Women Think I’m the Typical “Nice Guy.” They Have No Idea.by Jessica Stoya on August 10, 2022 at 4:00 pm
I am a really big nerd and hopeless romantic.
- Did Joe Manchin Burn Coal?by Jordan Weissmann on August 10, 2022 at 2:56 pm
The West Virginia senator has either thrown the industry a lifeline or helped kill it.
- I Am Groot. I Am Groot? I Am Groot.by Groot on August 10, 2022 at 10:00 am
I am Groot! I am Groot. I am Groot.
- A Complete Breakdown of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly in the Inflation Reduction Actby Daniel Hemel on August 10, 2022 at 9:45 am
The bill is a devil’s bargain, but if it were ideologically pure, it wouldn’t pass.
- The Resort Should’ve Been a Movieby Dana Stevens, Julia Turner, Stephen Metcalf, and Dan Kois on August 10, 2022 at 9:05 am
Also, watching Marcel the Shell With Shoes On, and listing the 50 greatest fictional deaths of all time.
- Is This Climate Bill Worth the Wait?by Mary Harris on August 10, 2022 at 9:00 am
Even with the concessions to Joe Manchin, environmental activists should take the Inflation Reduction Act for the victory that it is.
- What Makes a Good Internet Boyfriend?by Nadira Goffe and Rachelle Hampton on August 10, 2022 at 9:00 am
Thirst is a favorite internet pastime, but moments in the thirst spotlight don’t always last long.
- The Conspiracy Theory About the Trump FBI Raid That’s Blowing Up the Far-Right Deep Webby Aymann Ismail on August 10, 2022 at 12:28 am
If you haven’t heard of the “war on dissidents,” you may soon.