Politics, Policy, Political News Top Stories Politics, Policy, Political News Top Stories
- Turkey’s ransom for not blocking NATO is F-16 fighter jetsby Lili Bayer on May 20, 2022 at 2:34 pm
With its opposition to NATO bids, Ankara could be vying to also get the U.S. to unblock a major fighter jet purchase, while scoring political points at home.
- Monkeypox outbreak: What we know so farby Sarah-Taïssir Bencharif, Ashleigh Furlong and Carlo Martuscelli on May 20, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Cases of monkeypox are being investigated in several countries in Europe and North America.
- Republicans are poised to win the House and Senate. Welcome to our Election Forecast.by Steven Shepard on May 20, 2022 at 2:34 pm
We rated every race in play in the midterms. Here’s who we think will win.
- Secret Service: 2 employees on leave after ‘off-duty incident’ amid Biden’s Asia tripby Quint Forgey on May 20, 2022 at 1:50 pm
The president is expected to arrive in Seoul later Friday.
- Eastman provides new details of Trump’s direct role in legal effort to overturn electionby Kyle Cheney on May 20, 2022 at 10:26 am
The court filing describes the direct role of Trump himself in developing strategy, detailing “two hand-written notes from former President Trump about information that he thought might be useful for the anticipated litigation.”
- Rancher raised Republican now battles right-wing GOPby Ryan Lizza on May 20, 2022 at 9:11 am
For this week’s episode of Playbook Deep Dive, we sat down with Jennifer Ellis at her cattle ranch in eastern Idaho to understand how the state’s GOP establishment delivered a stinging rebuke to Trumpism.
- Effort to recruit poll workers relaunches amid fears of shortageby Zach Montellaro on May 20, 2022 at 8:31 am
Power the Polls is looking to reengage 700,000 people who expressed interest in volunteering during the 2020 election.
- ‘Uterus surveillance’: The scramble to keep abortion data from prying eyesby Ben Leonard on May 20, 2022 at 8:31 am
Telemedicine groups are looking to bolster privacy protections ahead of Roe decision.
- Opinion | Trump’s Alternate Reality Hits a New Crazy Note with Dr. Ozby Jack Shafer on May 20, 2022 at 8:30 am
And it’s only a matter of time before other Republicans echo his call to declare victory early.
- Andrew Hartzler Wasn’t Allowed To Be Gay on Campus. So He’s Suing.by Sarah Posner on May 20, 2022 at 8:30 am
A lawsuit seeks to end an exemption to Title IX that has allowed religious schools to receive lucrative federal funding despite policies that discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation.
- Democrats confront North Carolina bluesby Burgess Everett on May 20, 2022 at 8:30 am
Democrats are debating how far they should go to try to win the Tar Heel State, where they haven’t won a Senate race since 2008.
- Trump’s bid to control election offices hits first battlegroundby Zach Montellaro on May 20, 2022 at 8:30 am
Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, who spurned Trump’s request to subvert the 2020 election results, is on the ballot Tuesday.
- An Obamacare fiasco could blow up on Democrats right before the midtermsby Adam Cancryn and Megan Messerly on May 20, 2022 at 8:30 am
It could all come down to … Joe Manchin.
- The nation’s cartoonists on the week in politicsby POLITICO Staff on May 20, 2022 at 8:30 am
Every week political cartoonists throughout the country and across the political spectrum apply their ink-stained skills to capture the foibles, memes, hypocrisies and other head-slapping events in the world of politics. The fruits of these labors are hundreds of cartoons that entertain and enrage readers of all political stripes. Here’s an offering of the best of this week’s crop, picked fresh off the Toonosphere. Edited by Matt Wuerker.
- Dems debate limited options as Roe decision loomsby Marianne LeVine on May 20, 2022 at 8:30 am
The party could talk contraception, abortion pills, privacy concerns, codifying Roe and more. They have plenty of options, but no clear path forward.
- Boeing crew capsule launches to space station on test redoby Associated Press on May 20, 2022 at 12:23 am
It’s Boeing’s third shot at the high-stakes flight demo.
- California won’t ban offshore drilling after legislation stallsby Colby Bermel on May 19, 2022 at 11:30 pm
The bill, inspired by last fall’s oil spill off the Orange County coast, had steep opposition from the fossil fuel industry and its labor allies.
- Former FBI official recounts alleged lie at heart of Sussmann trialby Josh Gerstein on May 19, 2022 at 11:22 pm
Former Bureau General Counsel James Baker described a meeting where attorney Michael Sussmann relayed suspicions about a Trump server.
- Oz, McCormick unleash army of lawyers in Pa. Senate raceby Holly Otterbein on May 19, 2022 at 11:12 pm
Both Oz and McCormick have enlisted alumni from Trump’s 2020 campaign to prepare for a potential recount.
- CDC recommends Pfizer-BioNTech Covid-19 booster for kids 5-11by Lauren Gardner and Katherine Ellen Foley on May 19, 2022 at 9:08 pm
The committee found that the vaccine has largely been safe for that population of children, with incidents of myocarditis and other rare adverse events lower compared to older kids.
- Jan. 6 committee evidence includes official White House photos from day of Capitol riotby Kyle Cheney and Nicholas Wu on May 19, 2022 at 8:48 pm
Investigators have pictures from the official White House photographer, adding more detail to what Trump was doing that day.
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Josh Gerstein on May 19, 2022 at 8:44 pm
Prosecutors have ridiculed the idea that Project Veritas does journalism, but court filing says FBI treated group as “news media.”
- ‘Deadly serious’: U.S. quietly urging Taiwan to follow Ukraine playbook for countering Chinaby Lara Seligman on May 19, 2022 at 8:32 pm
Yet Beijing is also learning lessons from Russia’s botched invasion.
- Joly: Canada is working to rekindle relations with Beijingby Andy Blatchford on May 19, 2022 at 7:51 pm
Foreign minister tells POLITICO that Canada’s long-waited Indo-Pacific strategy will be released in the “coming weeks”
- GOP lawmaker acknowledges letting people into Capitol complex day before Jan. 6 attackby Nicholas Wu and Kyle Cheney on May 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Rep. Barry Loudermilk of Georgia, contacted by the select committee investigating the attack, said no member of the group “has been investigated or charged in connection to January 6th.”
- GOP senators’ private meeting with Google turns tense over email bias claimsby Emily Birnbaum and Marianne LeVine on May 19, 2022 at 6:59 pm
Republicans had invited a Google executive to explain allegations that the company had disproportionately targeted GOP emails as spam.
- Opinion | Why Even America-First Conservatives Should Back Aid to Ukraineby Rich Lowry on May 19, 2022 at 6:41 pm
The nationalist case for the $40 billion package is easy to make.
- FDA refuses to tell Congress why infant formula response took monthsby Helena Bottemiller Evich and Meredith Lee on May 19, 2022 at 6:11 pm
“We have an ongoing investigation about the details of exactly what happened.”
- Ocasio-Cortez calls on Maloney to resign DCCC chairmanship if he primaries colleagueby Ally Mutnick on May 19, 2022 at 6:07 pm
Maloney announced on Monday that he’d run for reelection in a redrawn district comprised mostly of Rep. Mondaire Jones’ constituents.
- Opinion | The States Will Soon Be at Each Other’s Throats Over Abortionby James Traub on May 19, 2022 at 5:01 pm
Overturning Roe could fuel a clash between the states not seen since the runup to the Civil War.